Contractor was 43m under a salmon cage.
In 2018, a 58 year-old man died at the scene while working for the contractor company Servicios Nauticos BRD Spa at an Australis Mar salmon farm in Seno Skyring, Southern Chile.
This week El Pinguino reported that the man had 70 particles per million (PPM) of carbon monoxide in his breathing equipment, six times more than permitted by the Chilean Air Quality Standards. Authorities also found that his compressor also had multiple deficiencies.
Furthermore, the victim should have only been diving at 20m, however, his team recorded a depth close to 43m, exceeding the allowed depth for an intermediate seafood diver by 23m.
The publication reported that the Prosecutor’s Office has now opened an investigation and that four men have been charged with alleged negligence.