Two people have died – with one seriously ill – from listeria. Australia’s chief medical officer said investigations had indicated the infections were likely to have come from contaminated smoked salmon.
ABC reports that Australia health authorities have confirmed that two people that have died in SW and Victoria.
In a statement, Australia’s Chief Medical Officer wrote:
“Investigations have implicated smoked salmon as the likely source. This is a timely reminder for people to ensure that food is handled, prepared and stored safely and that those most at-risk of listeriosis avoid certain foods.”
The publication then asked two of Tasmania’s largest suppliers who said they were not aware of any evidence linking their companies to the infections.
In a statement, Tassal said: “Tassal products have not been deemed unsafe, nor has it breached the Food Standards Code.”
In a statment Huon Aquaculture posted on social media: “Huon cold smoked salmon products have recently been tested by health authorities. No positive results for listeria were recorded nor was any breach of Australian food safety standards noted.
“Huon’s Parramatta Creek processing facility first achieved British Retail Consortium AA rating in 2016 (an international certification standard for food safety) – the only seafood processing facility in Australia to achieve this rating which is a testament to our focus on food safety and continuous improvement. Our factory is independently audited multiple times per year to comply with our certification requirements. Huon has not had a product recall in the past 8 years”.